Sunday, August 22, 2010

art, inspiration, help!

Another weekend, another art museum. :) This weekend, I found myself at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. A particular favorite of mine, since it brings back fond childhood memories when my mom would take me there. It had been well over 10 years since I visited, and since I was in town, I decided it was time to go back. Lots of changes and improvements, but the parts of the museum that were special to me were still there. Anyway, here are some pieces that stood out to me during this trip:


The Captive Bird by Nicolas Lancret - just love the 18th century-ness of this one


The Eiffel Tower by Henri Rousseau - love for obvious reasons


Seated Woman by Pablo Piccaso - there's not much by him that doesn't capture my attention



There's something in me that is feeling severely disjointed, for lack of a better word. I've never hidden the fact that my job, while tolerable and more times than not even enjoyable, sometimes leaves me feeling less than fulfilled. My discontent tends to come in waves, which I sometimes think has more to do with whether work is busy enough to distract me from that discontent than whether I'm truly feeling happy. I know that I wear myself out, take on much more than I should, and push myself oftentimes over the limit. Whatever it is, I'm about to scream. I need inspiration. I need fulfillment. I need joy. I've been telling myself for years that I have to spend more time on my personal life, doing things outside of work that bring meaning to me, but I always find myself falling pathetically short of accomplishing that.

So, I suppose that is why I keep reaching out to things that will kick-start my imagination, creativity, and (hopefully!) my focus on what I want for my life - job and all. I feel like I keep going through this exercise only to fall off and into the same funk that makes me unhappy. Anyone know what I mean?

Don't be surprised if you find more museum posts from me in the near future. :)

No comments: