Monday, March 13, 2006

An Intention

Having reflected on the past year's highs and lows, I'd like to focus on my intentions for this year (granted, it is already a quarter over).
1. Focus on friends and family. So unfortunate, but both of these groups are usually much neglected by me. Like most people, I blamed my busy schedule as a student and as a lawyer for my lack of attention to these people. Likewise, friends and family offer the same excuses for not staying in touch with me. Despite that, I would like to make a better commitment to keeping my friends and family connected to me and the things happening in my life. Thinking back, there are many friends/potential friends that are no longer in my life whatsoever (not even the obligatory christmas card), which is so sad because moving on from one part of my life should never mean that I drop the people who made that part special for me. This intention is particularly hard for me right now, as I have not told many people about my current situation. It is hard talking about it with those not closest to me - I am always so worried about being judged as a failure or incompetent.
2. Find a great job. Sometimes (most times) I feel that this is completely out of my control. I read books, articles, etc. writing about how if you don't like your current situation, then change it. It is all up to you. I have felt this way before - heck, I used to spout similar statements out to myself and others all the time. Now, it's hard to feel that charge over my own life. I have busted my butt for almost seven months job-hunting, sending applications, traveling for interviews just to be rejected. I have a good resume, I did well in law school, my first job required me to do a lot of work that other firms wouldn't give to a new associate. It's hard to maintain a good attitude after all of that, and it becomes understandable, I think, why I feel that this whole thing is out of my hands. A growing part of me wonders if this isn't some divine intervention trying to tell me to move out of the legal field. I feel that this intention/necessity is stumping my progress as a person, is preventing me from doing things I want to do (because of lack of $), and is downright weighing pretty heavily on me at the moment.
3. Spend time creating a welcoming space. Right now, that space is my bedroom in my parents' home, but hopesfully I will be able to move into my own apartment again sometime this year. Either way, I'd like to really focus on creating a good space for myself. This is something that I always wanted to work on. I bought books on decorating, shopped around in home decor stores, and researched feng shui since I moved into my first apartment in college. However, I never transferred that desire and research into action. Originally, I blamed it on my limited student finances, but even when I started working, I neglected it. I think a big part of that was because I was so miserable with my job and scared every day that I might lose my job, that it reflected in my desire to lavish my apartment. For the first six months in my 1-bedroom apartment, I only had a bed, dresser, desk, and tiny TV table. No couch. Nothing on the walls. It was downright despressing (as if life wasn't depressing enough for me as it was). However, I did find a very affordable couch after that time, and did a little bit of decorating once I made that find. Bought a proper TV armoire. Bought some fun pictures for the living room walls. Did a bit of decorating in the kitchen. But it was still a long way from the space I really want for myself.
For my next apartment (which will be 2-bedroom), I must have my own washer/dryer. I also want to spend more time creating warmth in my space - possibly by painting, putting up curtains, that type of thing. I tend like clean lines, kind of zen feel to the rooms. I also want to spend more time on my bedroom - a much neglected place. It needs a complete overhaul - something clean, but girly. I want a space that reflects me.
4. Take care of my dogs. In addition to proper vet care, of course, I want to make sure they have proper exercise, so they don't insist on going crazy in the house. There is a great dog park close-by that I love going to. I'd like to be more consistent about going there, possibly at least once a week. The thing I've been most neglectful of is walking. I've read that leash walking is always necessary, even if a dog gets to run around outside because it enforces who is master. I really want to commit to walking my dogs every evening. Also, I would like to start training classes, especially for Bogey.
5. Focus on yoga. This is an intention that has become growingly important. I was introduced to yoga in college, and knew even then that I would love it. College Station didn't have too much to offer in terms of yoga. There was one studio in town that I looked at, but never signed up for. The story of my life - chickening out. In law school, I bought some DVDs and began a home practice, but it was very sporatic and undisciplined. I became more focused right after law school, before I got my first job. But once I started working, I never worked out that entire time. Obviously, my dedication to my well-being has not been, well, dedicated. When I finally get a job, and can afford to do so, I would like to begin a regular class study of yoga - perhaps twice a week as an initial goal. Until then, I have some very good home practice DVDs that I am working on, and my goal is to become more dedicated to (eventually) a daily practice.
6. Consider yoga as a career. Remember how I mentioned above that I think someone might be telling me move on from the legal world? I had initially considered teaching yoga in law school, and it is one of those things that just hasn't gone away. I would like to take yoga in a class setting for a year. At that time, if I think it is something I'd like to pursure as a career, then I may do the teacher certifications. Maybe begin teaching a class or two. Who knows, maybe even own my own studio some day.
7. Reunite with an old flame. By that, I mean ballet. It's funny how we come full circle sometimes. I remember starting college, and thinking that dancing was over for me. I related it to an old boyfriend that I broke up with - we couldn't be just friends. However, it is something that has come to mind often lately. It will be hard starting over - I'm not in the same shape I was at 18, I haven't had a proper ballet class in almost 10 years - but I'm willing to suck up my pride and give it a go. I've come to the realization that we don't have to let things we love go just because our life expands. At one time, I thought I had to leave it and move on, but it doesn't (and shouldn't) have to be that way.
8. Take a painting class or two. Painting is one of those things that has always popped into my head, but I easily dismissed it since I didn't take art in high school (don't you love how I determine my entire life on what I did in high school?). I've begun dabbling in it for fun - bought some paint and canvas and gave it a whirl. I'm not very good by any means, but I think some instruction could be useful.

No comments: