Friday, October 06, 2006

Elucidate

Where have I been? Almost 2 months since my last post. Time is flying at lightening speed. It's hard to find time to just stop and be in the moment. As is always true with a new job, I find myself engrossed in all things work. Even my boss pleaded with me to take today off. I didn't, and of course, it was a good thing since last minute crises popped up right and left. One of the things about being a government attorney, things always arise last minute. It either keeps it interesting or will make me go insane. The jury's still out on that one. I've had some successes during the past few months. I got 2 juvenile murder suspects certified as adults. I feel that the right thing happened, but it does conjure up sympathetic feelings for the boys. It's too bad that kids end up with the wrong types of people and get into serious trouble for it. I work in a small county, but it is amazing the gang activity that prevails. Of course, gang activity was the source behind the murder these boys were facing. Sometimes, though, we have to pay big for our mistakes. That's life, I suppose. Anyway, the other things I've done I'll just kindly call "learning experiences." I had my first witnesses lie on the stand. That was unpleasant, but I do know how to handle that situation if/when it happens again. I've got another gang related case going to trial next week, so I'm pretty sure some of my witnesses will be lying there as well. I'm ready for them.

Other than work, not much else to talk about. I'm actually reading books again. I was so wired or tired by the end of the workday, that a lot of my books have gone unread for some time. I'm forcing myself to make more time for reading, and it is working to my advantage. It's just such a calming and creative activity for me. I just finished reading Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote. It was pretty good, but nothing quite beats the movie in terms of visual aesthetic. I'm now finishing A Passage to India by E.M. Forster. It is such a great novel. I had finished about half of it before I started working, and then it got pushed aside while I adjusted to this crazy job. Hopefully, I can finish it soon.

I've noticed a most unfortunate decline in my physique. Desk jobs and stress tend to have that affect. As much as I love yoga, it too has fallen by the wayside as I tend to come home to tired or unfocused to do an hour of yoga. But, I can really feel the lack of physical activity's toll on my body. I'm dragging, slow, but my mind is zooming. It's the worst combination, and I know the remedy is getting my butt up and exercising. I'm trying to get back into a routine of taebo to get my body more pepped up, and then bring in some yoga again. Why are there not enough hours in the day for everything we need to do???

The bf is doing well. He finally got a formal job offer from the company he has been interning with for a year and a half. I know he is thrilled, but it makes our separation that much more infinite. I'm pretty happy where I'm at for the time being, and he's happy where he's at. Who knows what the future has in store for us. We've been geographically separated for 2 years. To anyone else, that is crazy, but we still hang in there. What for, I'm not sure.

So, that's my update in a nutshell. Someday, I'll be where I want to be. In the meantime, I'm still working on this lawyer thing and trying to throw in a little yoga, reading, and boyfriend.

No comments: